Monday, September 14, 2009

Dats a lot of money...(the bad way)

Ninja.

Well, so far poker today has sucked.

Truth jumped into a 50+5 tourney while I was wrapping up some chores and I slowly talked myself into playing over the course of the 30 minutes or so until it opened. I did okay but went card dead at the wrong time and made my desperate move at not the right time. The details evade me at the moment. I went deeper than Truth. I wish that was all that mattered to me.

Then Truth went to a live tourney at a different card club. The plan is for it to be a 4 night a week thing. I can’t afford that right now but figured I could drop the 120 bucks on the first night so I would have context going forward. I had a fucking phenomenal run of unplayable cards. In three hours I had AK, TT, 77, 44, 22, KJoff, QJoff, QJoff. Everything else was a no questions asked fold. Preflop raise from UTG with AK stole the blinds. 22 and 44 came early in the tourney when I had plenty of chips and both were very early position and got folded. I doubled on TT and 77. I folded KJ similarly to the small pairs- action in front, mid position, still had chips. I had QJ both times when very short stacked- both times were all-in moves. Once I lost to KJ and once to Q7.

There was, other than cultural observations, literally NO REASON for me to go. I do not believe there was any way my cards could have been played to a victory without just random luckboxing into hands and pure bluffing.

5.50 SNG 9 seat went out when Kbarf called 4x preflop and hit the K and I hit second pair. I am tilting for other reasons- I should stop playing. Probably won’t.

Truth and I actually argued on the way home about part of this. We both agree that changing your play because you are in a run of cold cards is irrational. We both agree that you should sometimes make moves purely based on position. We both agree that a lot of folding leads to a table image that can, and should be, exploited. I believe that you can create criteria to guide this move based on chip stacks, table conditions, and hole cards. Truth seems to think you should… just do it sometimes? Honestly I think he was just tired. And I know he has been cranky.

Oh, I am out of order here though- he made it through the bubble and got back a buy in and a quarter or something. Sheriff was also there and went out right after me.

Okay, in the money. My play is locked up. Sadly, one guy is coming into this phase with a massive lead. (1500, 1500, and 9500)

Second place.

I intended to play all night but I am tired. If you count the live game I am like 160 down for the day. Sniff.

No comments:

Post a Comment