Monday, September 7, 2009

Genesis

My friend Joe is a Hater. We've been friends for about 15 years now and I need to really *think* to find examples of things I've set out to do- or mused about doing- that Joe didn't think was a terrible idea that is destined to fail. Now, to his credit- he has supported a great number of shenanigan flavored hi jinx, but typically only under much duress. With this sort of history between us you can imagine it was very memorable the day he called me to suggest I learn to play poker.

At the time I didn't even know how to play. I had a vague idea as to what the hands were- but no concept of the mechanics, strategy, or what-have-you. Joe went on to explain that he felt that my personality would lend itself well to poker and he though I could be very successful. I'm not sure it is relevant to his motivation, but another friend of ours (more of an acquaintance of mine really, but he and Joe were close) had "gone pro" a few years before. He isn't a celebrity tournament winner or anything, but makes his money grinding the cash tables around the Bay Area. Oh yeah- I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area. Anyway, as flatted and tickled as I was with Joe's ambush of support I simply couldn't explore poker at that time in my life.

Fast forward a couple of years... I'd been running a small software developer and worked myself into a bit of an emotional and financial breakdown. I sold off the dregs, bought a boat, grew a pony tail, and tried to run away to Mexico. Someday I will share that story, but for now all that matters is that my life was "clean" now. I had lots of time and energy to invest in new things- just not much money. Another friend of mine- one who doesn't know Joe- was a semi-pro poker player. Religious casher at small and mid-sized tourneys. He wasn't making a living from poker, but was winning solidly over time. This friend- who will probably be writing here too- suggested I would be good at poker. This time I didn't have a good excuse.

We set me up on Full Tilt and with a level of knowledge that involved being PRETTY SURE, but not positive, that a flush beats a straight I started donking off chips in freerolls.

And then I found five dollars.

- Ninja

No comments:

Post a Comment